Sunday, November 15, 2015

A series of calamities...




As you can see I've been absent for awhile, alas not for a productive reason.

Just as I was getting in an excellent groove of blogging, keeping up with my newsletter, writing, editing, and working on my crit partner's stuff, and even a really complex present for my boyfriend

Then I got a ton of editing clients back to back. Which would have been fine if two disasters hadn't happened.

The first is that because some idiot stole a credit card, my day job tightened security, so I can no longer access google docs, which I used for drafting my novels, blog posts, and critiques.

The second was that I screwed up royally on what could have been a huge client... twice.

The first time I got sucked into their story and read through it too fast and missed a ton of stuff. I apologized profusely and they gave me a second chance.

I went through it very slowly and carefully.

And I blew it.

I don't know if it was the stress of a ton of other things going on, me being stuck in my right brain from one of my art projects, or if my eyes are going bad... or if that book was denser and more complex than the usual ones I edit.

Either way, it doesn't make me feel any better. I've never failed an edit before.

Either way, I'm going take proofreading off of my services until I can get my eyes checked and maybe cut some genres from my list.

Aside from being deeply ashamed, I lost out on a couple hundred dollars, and got two weeks behind on revising my 3rd Hearts of Metal book and making headway on Scandals with Bite Book 3.

Not to mention the fact that I've done zero marketing and haven't gotten to keep up with this blog and socializing with you awesome peeps.

Oh, and even worse, I was subcontracted out to line edit another MS that was supposed to be 300 pages, but it's a giant block of text with no paragraph indents and unbroken dialogue, so that's been taking forever. AND I got either bronchitis or pneumonia.

It's been hell, and I'm so sorry if this came off as too ranty or whiny.

On the bright side, I did get some writing done in the last couple days and I'm almost done with that last monster project.

I will have to handwrite at work from now on (Though they're talking about banning pens and paper.)

And I'm looking for another job... unless my book sales pick up even more. :D

I want to thank you all for your support and to those of you who posted those wonderful reviews on Amazon & Goodreads, THANK YOU SO MUCH! Those keep me going during hard times like these.

I promise my next post will be more cheerful.



No comments:

Post a Comment