Thursday, June 20, 2013

Hardest. Draft. Ever.



As many of you have heard, I have recently completed the first draft of my third regency paranormal romance, which my publisher has named BITE AT FIRST SIGHT.

The post title is definitely true, though I could also call it, "Most interrupted draft ever."

I began writing the book a few weeks before I went back to college. Unfortunately, I was attempting to quit smoking at the time and that made writing extra hard. Still, I ended up finding my stride and pulled off an opening scene that felt spectacular.

Just when I was getting to know the characters, I was pulled away to do copy edits on BITE ME, YOUR GRACE. You know what, I think I like copy edits! It was a lot of fun. :)

Then school started. The first week I did pretty well, handwriting chapters between classes and typing em up after studying & homework. Then every class decided to bury me in an insane amount of work. Those higher level classes aren't as easy as I thought they'd be. If it weren't for my friend letting me use office space 2 nights a week, I wouldn't have gotten anything done.

Sometimes I said, "f*ck it," and skipped school to work on the book instead. But not as often as I wanted to.

Christmas break was mostly ruined by family time and you know, celebrating the holidays. Spring Break wasn't exactly ruined, in fact, it was spectacular because I celebrated the release of my debut novel, BITE ME, YOUR GRACE and had the most spectacular signing party ever!

Then I was crazy busy with my virtual tour and back to school. Just when I dove back into BITE AT FIRST SIGHT, it was time to do some revisions on Book 2, ONE BITE PER NIGHT. You can pre-order it here.

From all these interruptions, I constantly had to backtrack to remember where I was and what the characters were doing. On the plus side it kept my story arc more organized than any book I've ever done, on the downside, it cost time.

Right after I graduated college I ended up smacking down on the writing and finally finishing the draft. I loved the fun twists and turns and heart-rending surprises! I also managed to work my big brown puppy-dog eyes and nab some of the best critique partners ever.

Despite all the difficulty, this book was a joy to write. I know many of you readers are looking forward to reading Rafe's story and I gotta tell you, there were times that I don't think I would have pulled through without your enthusiasm and support.

THANK YOU!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment