Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Writing...When You're Not


Between projects I often find myself doing nothing for a couple weeks. Well, I've been working on revisions, but I've also spent a lot of time away from the laptop. I've even been slacking on blogging and socializing with my online pals.

At first I felt really guilty about that...but now I'm starting to wonder. Maybe this is normal. Maybe you guys do this too.

When you're in the in-between zone and not writing....are you really NOT writing? I know that sounds all kinds of Mad-Hatter, but bear with me.

During my "down" time, I've been doing a lot of reading for pleasure, something I haven't been doing much of, watching movies, doing housework and listening to music more than usual.

As I do these non-writing things, my mind continues to wander. Certain songs get my characters speaking to me in my head. Certain lines have me going, "Ah-hah! So that's what 'so-and so' is going to do!" I've been having a lot of these revelations lately. Unfortunately, they are things that won't happen until book 6-or later, but isn't it still progress?

Then again...maybe I'm just getting Spring Fever and want to get out of the house. After all it is fishing and morel seasons.

What do you think? Do you still write when you're not really writing?


2 comments:

  1. I'm with you! I do the same thing. When your brain has been working so intensely on one thing for a time, it eventually needs a break. Plus, the outside world is where we get our ideas. You're just rejuicing for the next round.

    At least, that's how I justify it when I do it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! I was afraid it was a feeble attempt to justify being a slacker. :)

    ReplyDelete