Monday, January 17, 2011

Happy Martin Luther King Day!

Martin Luther King was a true American hero with a dream: "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character," he once said in his famous speech.  Every day, in many ways, his dream is closer to being realized.

How is this related to a paranormal romance blog? I believe it's related because King's dream was about ending segregation. For the longest time, there was/ still is segregation in publishing. For the longest time anything by an African American author or anything featuring African American protagonists would be segregated in book stores to the "African American" or "Multi- Cultural" section instead of the genre it belonged in. Slowly but surely, it seems we are moving away from that.

Readers everywhere are beginning to ask: "Are there any Paranormal Romances with African American characters?" Why yes, there are. And here are a few.

                                                                        L.A. Banks


                                                                           Lexi Davis
I don't know about you, but I think these covers are freakin' hot and I want to check em out. I have a dream that an author's or character's skin color will have no bearing on a novel's genre classification. I believe that we come closer to that every day.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! Amazing man, amazing message. We need more like him in this world ;o)

    ReplyDelete